The Legislative Drafting Division is a central, non-partisan office within the North Carolina General Assembly. Professional drafters (primarily attorneys) use their wide range of subject area expertise to assist legislators prepare bills for introduction. Once the filing deadlines have passed, drafters assist the House and Senate Appropriations Committees and Fiscal Research Division to prepare the State budget bill. During the interim, drafters staff study committees, keep current on their subject areas, and work on Division projects.
The Division also contains the Revisor and Assistant Revisor of Statutes who staff to the General Statutes Commission and supervise the publication of the North Carolina General Statutes; the Enrolling Clerk who prepares all enacted legislation for ratification, chapters enacted laws, and compiles the Session Laws publication; and the Bill Processing office which proofreads all bills and bill drafts, engrosses all floor amendments, and updates the electronic database that contains the General Statutes.
Copies of documents are available only as follows:
- For an apostille or certificate of authentication, please contact the Authentication Office of the NC Secretary of State at 919-814-5400.
- For a vital record, please contact NC Vital Records at 919-733-3000.
- For a notary commission, please contact the Notary Public Section of the NC Secretary of State at 919-814-5400.
- For a certified copy of a session law, please contact the Publications Division of the NC Secretary of State at 919-814-5340.
- For a certified copy of a North Carolina General Statute, please contact the Revisor of Statutes at 919-733-6660.